What does the French real estate term Permanences Urbanisme mean?




Before you buy or when you own and are planning on renovating your French real estate you will need to visit the local city hall. (Mairie)

The particular office at the ‘Mairie’ you will need to visit is called ‘Urbanisme’. It is the office in charge of works that are done in your home that need to be approved.

Always check ahead of time before you buy a home to make sure what you want to do is possible. Don’t believe what neighbors say. Or assume since you see a neighbor has done the work you want to do it is possible. The rule may have changed.

‘Permanences’ is the hours when the agent in charge of ‘Urbanisme’ at the city hall is on site to assist you.

Contact us if you wish to learn more French real estate terms in English or search via the box on this page up top.