When do I need to have insurance for my french property?

French Street Sign French Riviera

When you buy a French property at the present time you are required to have property insurance for fire and other risks beginning at the start of the day (00h01) of completion of your purchase. This day is the day when you sign ‘l’act authentique’ – the day you pay and get the key.

Confirm with your French notary exactly what you are required to have. Then it is important that you check with your French property insurance company as to what they need from you to make sure you have your property insurance all set up when you get the keys.

At this time you also need property insurance when you rent a property in France. In most cases, the property owner will require you to show the a copy of the French property insurance you have purchased when you take possession of the property.

Date of Posting September 2013

To make sure you are up to date on all information we can help put you in contact with an English speaking French real estate agent, an English speaking French notary or an English speaking French banker please contact us to receive a selection of people that can assist you in your area of choice. Simply click to contact us here with your request.


Learned enough for the moment? Like to watch an instant video on France? go here to instant videos