What is a lavabo or vasque in a French real estate advertisement?


When you read a French real estate advertisement you may understand that the home has been renovated since the word for renovation in French is similar to in English but you may see the word lavabo or vasque and wonder what are they?

In my experience I  have seen the two words used to mean the same thing and they are referring to what we call in English a bathroom sink.

I am still not sure why the two words are used interchangeably, I am sure they must be a reason but I know I can go to a store that sells bathroom sinks in France and on one price tag it will say ‘lavabo’ and on another it will say ‘vasque’.

I hope this helps you decode more French real estate advertising.

Get lots of extra insight on how French real estate works in our 110 tip French real estate buyers guide. Details are here.